What drives you?

I’m interested in knowing what drives you to become a better drone pilot. I’ve always had an interest in aviation but couldn’t afford a small drone, let alone licensing for manned aircraft. Once I was able to get my first drone, a mini 2, I flew it almost everyday to make sure I got better at it before I could do it commercially. Nowadays, I still fly drones almost everyday since it’s one of the things I believe I did right and I want to be the best in what I do.

How about you?

That’s a great question. I’ve always been a “go big or go home” guy, even since I was little.

What drives me is what was instilled in me as a child: if you are going to do something, do it to the best of your ability without any “buts”.

When I started out in the hobby, I didn’t know anything about drones. I watched a review and decided I wanted to learn how to fly. I watched video after video on flying Phantoms and then I purchased a Phantom 4 (Standard). I took it out daily and flew in forests and “jungle areas” here in Florida, just so I could get better at the “sticks”.

What drives me now is the need to give my clients better footage, footage they would never expect to receive from a drone. This, of course, means tight fly-throughs and complicated stick control (ie manual orbits, while ascending and pitching the gimbal up or down - just to name one).

Secondly, what drives me to be a better pilot is the want to make myself better. Period. I guess that feeling of accomplishment.

I’m interested to hear what others have to say on this subject as well.