How Do You Get a Drone Videography Business Started?

How Do You Get a Drone Videography Business Started?

I guess you have some skills already and know that you need a drone license if you want to earn money flying your drone. (If not, you can read more at www.rcdroneguys.com where I have an article about drone jobs, how to get a drone license and how to start a drone business )

Basics:
Business Plan:
good for your own atrategy but also essential if you’re seeking financing.
(When it comes to starting a business in general it’s important to decide on a business structure e.g., sole proprietorship, LLC. depending on what you choose you get different levels of personal liability protection.)
Get drone insurance to protect your business from liability. This is often not optional as it covers potential damages or accidents that can occur during drone operation.

More important but boring stuff:
Internal Policies and Procedures: Develop a set of policies and procedures for your business operations, including safety protocols, client engagement processes, and quality assurance measures.

Tax Registration and EIN:
Register for taxes and obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. This is crucial for tax purposes and to open a business bank account.

Bank Account:
Open a dedicated bank account for your business to keep personal and business finances separate.

Licenses and Permits:

• Get Your FTN:
    Start by creating an account on the FAA’s IACRA system.

• Schedule Your Exam:
    Find a local testing center and set a date (you need 70% to pass the test).

• Apply for Your License:
    After passing, complete the FAA Form 8710-13 on the IACRA website.

The fun Stuff:

Equipment:
Invest in a high-quality drone that meets the needs of your intended services, along with any additional equipment such as cameras, lenses, batteries, and storage devices.

Marketing and Portfolio:
Build a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills to potential clients.
I recommend posting you work on instagram and Youtube and a professional website.
Those will come in handy when you start networking within relevant industries like real estate or event planning.

Finally, the best way I’ve seen friends build thier drone businesses is by hanging out at conventions, trade shows, and forums like this. If you have enough material to show on your Instagram or youtube account, it’ll become a snowball effect and you will be recommended more and more.

Might sound cheesy buy just make sure you have fun and stay active.

Great advice and run-through here, @RcDroneGuy. We appreciate you sounding off!

1 Like